Wednesday 19 October 2011

some new l.p's




So, after resisting the offerings that town or the internet had to bestow, I had to buy some musical plastic. The choices aren't radical or uber hip, but records I fancied having.

Lana Del Ray - Video games 7"
I heard about this songstress in the summer and pre ordered the single then. Little did I know that the hype bubble around her would grow to the size it has. A great voice and a pretty good song, I just hope that it doesn't pop to early and her new material steps it up.

Kasabian - Velociraptor!
I was never a fan of this band, the 'laddishness' of it all did not appeal to me. However, when they teamed up with Dan the Automator on the last album, West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum, my ears pricked up and took notice. The production had his stylistic stamps all over it and really made the songs interesting. I then came to read about the dynamics of the band, something that always interests me from a 'producer's' point of view, and the fact that the Noel Fielding look-a-like guitarist does pretty much everything. If only he sang, his voice is better than the lead singers. Anyway, in short, this album is not going to change the face of music but what I do know is that when I play the catchy, groove laden tunes it contains, my little girl goes nuts. It must have some kind of primal energy and I can't argue with that.

The Horrors - Skying
When this band emerged with more style than tunes back in 2005/6 ish they offered me nothing. I heard a few tracks of their last album , Primary Colours, and did not recognise them. It sounded a loss less like a joke. The first thing that grabbed me with this record was the cover, I'm a sucka for a good one. I loved the colours and the silver lettering. I checked it out on Spotify and loved the production, it was self produced, and the sonic palette of the record. Also, there are some great songs on there, and if you don't have tunes then the great production is lost. Apparently the band did a shed load of ecstasy when they were making it. Now, I don't advocate drugs, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment